Many of us think of our pets as members of the family, so it’s only natural to take them along for rides in the car sometimes. There are many potential dangers to be aware of when bringing your dog or cat along for a drive- both to themselves and the other passengers in the car. Whether you are taking your pet on a long road trip or a short drive to the vet, here are some simple steps you can take that will help keep you and your furry friend safe:
- Secure your pet in the car. In the event of a car accident, your dog or cat could get seriously injured if they are not properly restrained. They could also become a dangerous (and heavy) projectile that could seriously injure passengers. You can use a pet carrier or a vehicle restraint designed specifically for animals. There are many pet restraints available on the market- make sure you purchase one that is the proper size for your pet.
- New or unusual experiences can cause some pets to feel anxious or scared. In addition to physical safety, its important to take some steps to help your pet feel comfortable when riding in the car. This will help your pet relax and allow you to focus of driving safely. Bringing along a travel bed, a favorite toy, snacks, and water for your dog or cat will make the trip more enjoyable for everyone!
- Always make sure your pet is on a leash before opening your car doors- they can slip by in the blink of an eye!
- Bring plastic bags and other cleaning supplies- messes sometimes happen.
- If you’re going on a long trip or taking your pet out of town, you should consider bringing their medical records in case you have to take them to an emergency vet.
- On long trips, take frequent breaks- your pet will appreciate the opportunity to walk around a bit and drink some water.
- Finally- avoid leaving your pet in a car unattended. Cars can get dangerously hot inside even when the temperature outside is comfortable. Make you pet’s health a top priority!
Taking these simple steps can help make car rides safe and fun for everyone involved!